Thursday, November 4, 2010

PSA: How Not to Refer to Your Wife

I was told I needed to post again. I am busy, busy at the store so this will be a quickie.

It is inspired by one of my male customers who referred to the woman he has been married to for over 30 years as "The Wife". This is a pet peeve of mine. So here is the list of things not to call your wife:

1.  The Wife
2.  Woman
3.  The Old Lady
4.  The Ball and Chain
5.  The Witch (or any variation thereof)
6.  Baby Mama

I'm sure there are others, but you get the idea.  Just so you know, it is perfectly okay to say, "my wife". It is even better to say, "my lovely wife", "or my beautiful wife", or "the love of my life"...again, you get the idea. This is the woman who agreed to marry you. She is not a possession. She deserves to be referred to with respect.

If you say things like this in front of me, you can expect to get the Lisa Look.
This is not something you want.

No comments: